What NOT To Do
- Keyword Stuffing: If you don't know what this is, google it. It doesn't work.
- If you think SEO (Search Engine Optimization) is all about keywords, you are focusing on about 10% of what matters to search engines.
- Keyword META tags don't matter, so don't use any keywords in keyword META tags. But Title and Description META tags still DO matter.
- Separately designed mobile websites (stripped down content and simplified or different url structure) will hurt your organic rankings.
- Unique Content (Video, Blog, Pics, etc.)
- Page Speed (Time to First Byte & Time to Full Page Load matter.)
- 301 redirects only; no other redirect matters.
- Url Structure counts (keyword rich urls and no more than 3 or 4 subdirectories in your url structure.
- Social Media now counts in organic rankings.
- Responsively designed mobile websites are a MUST.
- Google + Authorship will help get your blog posts much better organic rankings.
- Rich snippets to markup event dates and locations will boost organic placement.
What TO Do
Read Rand Fishkin's post A Visual Guide to Keyword Targeting and On-Page Optimization to learn what you should be doing. This infographic below is discussed more in Rand's post and is completely his creation.